Greetings to you from the New Church Team of the Kansas Region,
We pray that you are staying healthy and safe in these unprecedented times. If the last year has taught us anything, it is that few things can be taken for granted and that we must allow God’s grace to renew our ways of being church. It is in this spirit that we in the Christian Church in Kansas are looking to call a full-time partner for New Church Ministry.
We are calling this partnership an experiment, as this is not something we have done before. And yet, isn’t that what New Church Ministry is all about? We are looking to put our resources forward, concentrated in a three-year call to support needed shifts in what our ministry looks like. Our goal is to foster an environment that allows God’s spirit to grow the next expressions of church in all its diversity.
A bit about the Kansas Region: we are a strong region with ministry in five districts across the state. Many of our churches have a long history in the communities they serve, playing a vital role in the places they are called. Kansas itself is shifting in its demographics, with rural ministry being simultaneously more vital and harder to sustain than ever. We also have thriving metro areas with plenty of spaces to grow and for people to connect.
We are looking for a motivated leader to guide us in new expressions of church here in the communities of Kansas. We understand that our existing models of church meet the needs of those already connected but want to empower those feeling a call to share God’s Grace in broader circles. The Regional Minister for New Church Ministries would connect with teams across the state to start new expressions with local leaders. We also want to share the unique identity of the Disciples in a divided climate seeking wholeness.
We hope to be the hands and feet, moving with the Spirit in modeling partnerships with congregations and new church planters. Our New Church team is open to the unique gifts of this new Regional Minister we call, responding with the perspective and approach of learning together. We covenant to support this new Regional Minister with the financial, spiritual, and volunteer support needed to help the work be fruitful. If you are interested in exploring this call with the Christian Church in Kansas, please see further details below and submit an application.
We look forward to exploring this call with you,
Rev. Travis Smith McKee – Chair, New Church Team
Expectations of all Christian Church in KS (Disciples of Christ) Regional Staff
- Membership in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Ordained clergy with standing in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Commitment to the vision and mission statements of the Christian Church in Kansas (Disciples of Christ)
- Commitment to guidelines for clergy in the Christian Church in Kansas (Disciples of Christ) with high ethical standards consistent with the Ethical Affirmations for My Ministry policy and the region’s Policy on Clergy Misconduct
- Serve in collaboration with and accountable with the Regional Ministers of the Christian Church in Kansas (Disciples of Christ) and the Kansas Regional Board.
- Open and direct communication with regional field staff colleagues
- Servant leadership characterized by team building, consensus development, and enabling gifts and ministries of all people
- Leadership abilities which develop and maintain a high level of trust with the clergy and laity of the region
- Visionary with the ability to implement and delegate
- An openness and depth of faith with the ability to relate that faith in personal/pastoral relationships
- Work with the New Church Ministry Team to dream of, design, two to three new strategies for establishing New Church Ministries in the Christian Church in Kansas by the end of the first year on staff.
- Work with the General Office of New Church Ministries including utilizing their training and resources
- Identify and train 3-5 New Church planters for the possibility of planting New Churches by the end of the second year on staff.
- Build excitement and support for New Church Ministries by
- Writing of promotional articles for regional publications
- Traveling to congregations to speak about and promote the work of New Church Ministries
- Spearheading the promotion of the Annual Pentecost Offering with an envisioned goal of increased giving by congregations to this offering by at least 10% for the three years of this experiment.
- Oversee the use of the Kansas Leadership Center for Leadership Training, which includes
- the writing of the annual KLC Grant Application
- the KBC Grant application
- the recruitment of participants from all congregations
- Other duties as needs arise.
- Ability to effectively articulate the depth of faith to the Christian Gospel in the context of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Ability to build relationships and bridge the diversity of the congregations of the Christian Church in Kansas with a compassionate, non-judgmental presence
- Able to work well in the midst of criticism while under pressure and/or crisis
- Ability to prioritize, delegate and communicate effectively in the example of a servant leader in the often challenging and changing setting of regional ministry
- Ability to effectively bridge the technological spectrum of ministry in the wide diversity of the congregations sharing in ministry
- Effectively demonstrates an ability to balance personal, family, and ministerial needs
- Demonstrates and encourages accountability, honesty, and authenticity of the call to ministry
- Effectively and enthusiastically communicates a love of the Gospel message of Jesus Christ with sensitivity and respect to our ecumenical and inter-faith partners in ministry
Applications are due by December 20, 2020. Please submit your application, letter of interest, and a resume or ministerial profile online here or mail to:
Christian Church in Kansas
Attn New Church Team
2914 SW MacVicar Ave.
Topeka, KS 66611-1787