On January 2, 1921, Riverside Christian Church began as a Sunday School, meeting in the Riverside Elementary School. Constitution and bylaws were adopted, officers elected, and lots purchased at the corner of Harrison and Litchfield.
Rev. O.N. Roth, who had been the Chancellor, and acting President at Philips University, was called as the first pastor on January 1, 1922. Rev. Roth had also led the South Lawrence Avenue Church of Christ, Wichita, in building their sanctuary. On Sunday, April 29, 1923, eight months after the first shovel of dirt was overturned and more than two years since the first Sunday School, the dedication service for the new building was held. Seventy-six confessions of faith were made that day and enough money was raised to pay off the cost of the building.
Many members and several pastors later, Riverside is still making a difference in the lives of members, the Riverside area, Wichita and beyond. Even though they have not been able to celebrate their birthday in-person, they will be doing so at some time in the months to come.